Sunday, August 17, 2008

The Rest of the Weekend

Monday August 18, 2008

Saturday I got up and went to the coffee-shop, walked home and then Sam, Alex and I went to KFC. It was good, pretty much like in the US, except a lot more hot girls were hanging out there. After that, we walked around computer city for a while, then went back to Yulin. Alex went home and Sam and I watched some Olympics, then Rick and I walked over to Alex's to watch Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay, one of the stupidest comedies I've ever seen. Completely idiotic and sprawling, it was still moderately entertaining. The key to stupid comedies is to have extremely low expectations.

After the movie, Rick and I went down to the Leg and Whistle to watch football (soccer) and we ate some Korean food next door to the pub. I hung out with Tony, the owner, who supports our football team that plays Tuesdays. Sam came by and we watched the USA basketball team whoop Spain, then he and Rick went over to Panda Bar and I stayed to watch the Liverpool match. Simon came by, I met his wife, Liverpool won 1-0 on a late Torres goal. Then I met up with Sam and Rick and Alex at Panda Bar (conveniently just down the block), had a drink and then went home.

Sunday I slept in, met up with Rick and we walked to touch rugby, on a real grass field just off Renmin Lu. It was ultra-tiring, there were ten of us and the heat was tremendous. Rick had never played before and in my out-of-shape state, I was mainly gasping for air and slowly following the play, although I did manage to score a couple tries. My rugby skills aren't great but they haven't disappeared completely, which is nice. After the rugby game, Rick and I walked back to his place and dropped off our stuff, picked up some towels and went down to the pool. It was really nice, very crowded and outdoor but it felt so good to wash the sweat off. After about an hour hanging out at the pool, we walked to a restaurant near Rick's house and had some good Sichuan food. Then I took a cab home and showered and was prepared for a quiet, early night. Andy, a Scottish dude I play football with, called me up and asked me if I wanted to go down to the Leg to watch football. As I've been trying to hang out with him for the last week, I decided to go out. Another team-mate of ours, Terry, also Scottish, was there. We drank some pints and watched Chelsea win 4-0, then watched Man U tie Newcastle 1-1. After that, we took a cab home and I passed out in loads of bodily pain, which I still feel this morning. It's a good pain though.

No comments: